Project Estimation Techniques
The main activities which comes under software project planning:
• # Estimation,
• # Scheduling,
• # Risk Analysis,
• # Quality Management Planning,
• # Change management planning.
Estimation: It Is an attempt to determine how much money, efforts, resources and time it will take to build a specific software based system or project.
Who does estimation? :
• Software manager does estimation using information collected from customers and software Engineers and
• software metrics data collected from past projects.
• Assumption taken from experience .
• Identified risks and feasibility helps in estimation.
Steps for Estimations:
• -> Estimate the size of the development product
• -> Estimate the effect in person- month or person - hours
• -> Estimate the schedule in calendar months.
• ->Estimate the project cost in agreed currency.
Before a final estimate is made, problem complexity and risk are considered.
"Estimate Risk" is measured by the degree of uncertainty in the quantitative estimate established by the resources, and schedule.