There are lots of meaning of term software crisis. First of all we go in history and what was the scenario at that time.
Hardware Oriented World: There was more focus on the hardware and software as people were more focusing on thathow instructions can be executed fast.Not on how bugs should be removed frequently.
Cost: Hardware vs Software
Rapid increase in software cost and Rapid fall in hardware cost need more resources and well defined and systematic model for software development.
Developer were hardly one year of experienced old so quite difficult for them to fulfill all coding based requirement.
Failures in Big project:
Big failure in project cost government billions of dollars like
• 1) the North East blackout in 2003- has been major power system failures in the history of north which involves 100 power plants, 50 million customer faced problem, $ 6 million dollar financial loss.
• 2) Year 2000(Y2k) refers to the widespread snags in processing date after the Year 2000. In 1960-80 when shortened the four digit date format like 1972 to a 2 digit format like 72 because of "Limited Memory. Because of that 2000 was shortened to 00. Million dollar were spent to handle this problem.
• 3) Arian- 5 Space Rocket: In 1996, developed at cost of $7000 Million Dollars over a period of 10 years was destroyed within less than 1 minutes after its launch. As there was software bugs in rocket guidance system.
• 4) "Dollar 924 lakhs": In 1996, US bank credit accounts of nearly 800 customer with dollar 924 lakhs. This problem was due to main programming bug in the banking system.
• 5)1991 during Gulf War, :The USA use patriot missiles as a defence against Iraqi scud missile . However, patriot failed to hit the scud many times with cost life of 28 USA soldiers.In an inquiry it is found that a small bug had resulted in miscalculation of missile path.
User changing requirement:
As user changes its requirement slightly as world and technology changing rapidly.
What is Software Crisis :
The difficulty of writing the code for a computer program which is correct and understandable is referred to as software crisis.
or Software crisis is also referred to as inability to hire enough qualified programmers.