Features of File Organisation :
The Term " file Organization " refers to the way in which data is stored in a file and, consequently the methods by which it can be accessed.or
Storing the file in a certain order and approach to by which we can access this data.
Records can be placed anywhere in the file or record may be stored in an ordered way. And there are other approaches as well the by which records can be stored in a file.
Objective of file organisation:
1) Optimal Selection Of Records: This refers that record should be accessed as fast as possible.
2) Easy Transaction: Any insert, update or Delete transaction i.e operations on record should be easy. It should be quick and easy and should not harm other records.
3) No Duplicate Record: There No duplicate record should be induced as a result of Insert, Update or Delete.
4) Efficeint Storing: Records should be stored efficiently so that cost of storage is minimal: Empty blocks of file / between the records should be utilized.
There are various methods of "File Organizations" and these methods may efficient for certain types of Access /Selection meanwhile it will turn inefficient for other selections.
So the developer / programmer to decide the best suited file organisation method depending on his requirement.
Some of File Organization are:
• Sequential file organisation,
• Indexed sequential file organisation,
• Direct/ hash file organisation,
• Heap file organisation,
• B-Tree file organisation,
• cluster file organisation